Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005

UFOs


As if I don't have enough to worry about, this sign suddenly appeared along one of my favorite hiking trails. Damn you kids and your new-fangled flying discs! Shouldn't you be in school?!

Yeah, I've turned into an old grumpy person. It's just that I long for the days when a simple aluminum foil hat was enough to protect you from the influence of low-flying discs. Those were the days, my friends. Those were the days.

12 Response to " "

Pirate Says:

There is a disc golf course in a park in Newberg.

The kids attend North. The enemy of South. Go Viks!

You familiar with the area?

Danger Panda Says:

Hi Pirate,
I graduated from South, not long after you graduated from (I assume) Valsetz.

Too bad about your kids. They have my condolences.

Jona Says:

Flying discs on a golf course? I thought the discs were used as tokens to get the bucket of balls! Is it busy course where arguements break out among those waiting ;o)

surly girl Says:

i love the tinfoil hat theory of mentalists. and that it's become an archetype of how evil thought-rays can be repelled.

would cling film work as well, do you think?

and disc golf? please elaborate...

Danger Panda Says:

"Flying Disc" is is the generic term for a Frisbee, used here, I'm sure, to avoid advertising a specific product or to avoid infringing on trademark. Frisbee golf is supposedly catching on here, although I'm on this trail frequently and have yet to see anyone actually playing the game. The only people I've seen playing with Frisbees in the last ten years are actually dogs. The human players (both of them) are probably off playing cricket or something equally obscure.

And I haven't tested it, but I'd have to think that cling film would be a poor substitute for foil.

Cheryl Says:

I have a few blogfriends who are into this. I had to ask what it was, and I really don't get it. I must be getting old myself!

OldHorsetailSnake Says:

These things aren't all that dangerous. At least not as bad as getting a mouthful of flying ants.

Babette Says:

And, watch for ugly signs...Hoss sent me...he's a wise guy.

Dave Says:

It has broken out in Britain - our local TV news featured it some weeks ago. And cricket is not obscure - I suspect there are more countries which have a national cricket team than there are those which have a baseball team (is it baseball which has the humourously named 'world series'?)

Danger Panda Says:

Cricket IS obscure. At least it is here. At least as a sport. As an insect, it's doing quite well.

FTS Says:

And don't forget their canine caddies. ;-)

surly girl Says:

i still don't get it. frisbee golf? eh??

Post a Comment